Kamurocho (神室町 Kamuro-cho, lit. Kamuro District) is the red-light district where the Yakuza series' main story (mostly) takes place. In between story chapters, Kiryu can explore, shop and even unwind at the various locales dotted throughout the city. These include (but are not limited to) sports facilities, pawn shops, hostess clubs, a strip club, bars and even an underground casino (provided you know the password...). It is also in this city that you can find a sizable bulk of side missions for you to take up in order to help those in despair realise their otherwise impossible dreams, or to simply socialise and bond with the residents so you can better understand how and why they chose to eke out a living within the city, in spite of the dangers, suffering and hardships that arose from its omnipresent vice. They could be as straight-forward as giving a homeless boy something to eat, or dive head-long into the bizarre such as when Kiryu ends up being targeted by a hitman dressed in drag at the local strip club.
- Most of West Park is demolished sometime after Yakuza/Yakuza Kiwami takes place to make room for the Kamurocho Hills office tower, a large office complex commissioned by Goro Majima's construction company.
- The Shangri-La hotel/soapland is abandoned sometime after Yakuza/Yakuza Kiwami takes place.
- It is modeled after Kabukicho, Tokyo's prominent entertainment and red-light district.
- In Yakuza 1, Kiryu could watch an advertisement depicting a mahjong game in progress if he stood in the right place around. Theater Square. The game in question cannot actually be played. Mahjong can be played in the remake, however.
- Kamurocho is set to appear as a setting in JUDGE EYES, an upcoming police-themed action-adventure video game made by RGG Studios.